Monday, January 23, 2012

So LOL Seollal Update: Getting All Canadian


Maybe it was the snow, but I woke up feeling all North NORTH American today, and before the little bit of white stuff had melted off good and proper, I had finished these two Canadian books:

The Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwood.  Atwood has got dystopia down flat.  Readers who enjoyed 2003's Oryx and Crake had to wait several years for this companion novel, but it was worth the wait.  After the "Waterless Flood" (brought on by a mad scientist type in the first novel), two women, Ren and Toby, are in seclusion.  Ren has been locked into her workplace, a sex establishment called Scales n' Tails.  Toby, who has been hiding from her former rapist/kidnapper, is holed up in a beauty spa called ANooYoo.  While dealing with their current problems (imminent starvation, brutal escapees from Painball, genetically altered pigs with human brains) both of them flash back to their days in God's Gardeners, an eco-cult whose members dress in hemp and under the guidance of Adam One, tries to blend religion and science evenly.  They are portrayed both humorously and sympathetically.  This is the second book in a trilogy.  I hope we don't have to wait several years for the third book.

Something Good - Robert Munsch.  Tyya goes shopping with her father (who looks a lot like Mr. Munsch) and she tries to improve on her father's healthy (and boring) food choices.  Chaos ensues when the father tells Tyya to stand still and not move.  Tyya is mistaken as a doll and marked with a $29.95 price tag.  Judging by the dialogue, I have a feeling that Munsch wrote this book shortly after a viewing of Frankenstein (1931).  There's a fun version on YouTube with Munsch himself doing the hono(u)rs.

Page count for So LOL Seollal:  120

I'm not sure what's up with Teri.  She gave me a book today that I reallyreally want to read, (but can't until April *sob*) then she disappeared again.  She must be deep in the pages.

Edited to add:


Teri sez: 
 I finished Against All Odds (a thriller type of novel) and am 69% through Apothecary's Daughter.  That's a good read.  Enough for tonight!  I'm "Read out" for today. :)  Page count on Sunday: 261.  Monday: 361.

4 comments:

Maree said...

I love Margaret Atwood's dystopia. Can't wait for the third book in that series :D

Beth said...

Atwood's dystopias always feel American to me, (well, USA'n) while her straight fiction is very Canadian. I just realized that.

I have to admit I prefer her non-SF stuff, other than Handmaid's Wife. But I'll take whatever she wants to write, really. Maybe I just read too much SF :-)

Enjoy the remainder of LOL day!

fantsmacle said...

I was going to read that book by Atwood, but I'll just read them all when she finishes. Though I love her style and SF.

Care said...

Happy So LOL Seollal!

I am so looking forward to Flood. I don't have it and not quite WHEN I'll get to it, but I know it will be awesome.